Parenting Arrangements, Child Support & Spousal Support

Parenting Arrangements, Child Support & Spousal Support

Notice of Family Claim

This form is used to start most family law cases, including an application for parenting arrangements, child or spousal support, or family property and debt orders. It sets out information about you and the other party, your relationship, and the final orders you want.

Which court should I go to?

In British Columbia, the Supreme Court and the Provincial Court handle some of the same types of cases.


Supreme Court

Only the Supreme Court handles issues such as divorce or the division of property. Usually, if a married couple goes to the Supreme Court for a divorce, they will ask a judge to settle other issues as well, such as parenting arrangements and support. However, the Supreme Court is more difficult to navigate and more costly than the Provincial Court, a lawyer who understands the process is usually needed.

Provincial Court

The Provincial Court can only handle certain matters such as parenting arrangementschild supportspousal support and protection orders. The Provincial Court cannot deal with property division.

Provincial Court is less complex and less costly than Supreme Court.

Let’s talk about your legal rights and options

Case Studies

Inspiring Client Success Stories

Discover how our empathetic guidance and legal expertise have empowered clients through their divorce and separation journeys. Read their stories of transformation and find inspiration in their successes.

Karen got married in Alberta, had no children, separated, and moved to British Columbia 2 years after separation. By working together, Karen was able to save thousands of dollars in legal fees. She filed a Sole Application for Divorce in British Columbia and served her ex-spouse in Alberta.

Karen Clients

Ximena lived in a common-law relationship for 6 years. She separated and wanted to learn more about the possibility of seeking spousal support and its tax implications as taxable income. By working together, Ximena learned that there is no cost to file a claim for spousal support in the Provincial Court. She filled out and filed a Notice of Family Claim seeking spousal support.

Ximena Clients

Sonia was in a common-law relationship and separated 2 years ago. She has a son and never received child support from the father of her child. They both have a full-time job, and she has been paying for childcare expenses since separation. By working together, Sonia gained clarity about the process of seeking retroactive child support in British Columbia and started a family claim for child support and extraordinary expenses.

Sonia Clients