In British Columbia you can also be a spouse under the law if you’re not married.

When you live with someone without being married, it’s called living in a “marriage-like relationship” or “common-law relationship”.

BC provincial law treats you as spouses if you’ve lived together for any length of time and you have a child together (unless you have an issue about dividing property). If you don’t have a child together, you must have lived together in a marriage-like relationship for two or more years with your partner.

Let’s talk about your legal rights and options

Case Studies

Inspiring Client Success Stories

Discover how our empathetic guidance and legal expertise have empowered clients through their divorce and separation journeys. Read their stories of transformation and find inspiration in their successes.

Karen got married in Alberta, had no children, separated, and moved to British Columbia 2 years after separation. By working together, Karen was able to save thousands of dollars in legal fees. She filed a Sole Application for Divorce in British Columbia and served her ex-spouse in Alberta.

Karen Clients

Ximena lived in a common-law relationship for 6 years. She separated and wanted to learn more about the possibility of seeking spousal support and its tax implications as taxable income. By working together, Ximena learned that there is no cost to file a claim for spousal support in the Provincial Court. She filled out and filed a Notice of Family Claim seeking spousal support.

Ximena Clients

Sonia was in a common-law relationship and separated 2 years ago. She has a son and never received child support from the father of her child. They both have a full-time job, and she has been paying for childcare expenses since separation. By working together, Sonia gained clarity about the process of seeking retroactive child support in British Columbia and started a family claim for child support and extraordinary expenses.

Sonia Clients